Illustration Copyright-Transfer Contract Template
I am seeking a New York intellectual property / copyright attorney to help me as I start my company.
I will be commissioning Elancers to create illustrations for me. Those illustrations will be sold on posters, t-shirts and various other media. I am looking for a contract template that I can use for all such Elance commissions.
The template should include conditions allowing me exclusive use of the work worldwide, as well as the right to alter or adapt the work as I see fit.
Other issues that should be addressed include...
- The media to be used, and how the illustration is to be delivered, including various tech specs provided by my printing company.
- The various milestones along the design path, including my right to direct changes until satisfied.
- The timeline for sketches, proofs and final artwork delivery.
- Confidentiality of any info I provide to the illustrator.
- Transfer all rights to the image to me, exclusively, worldwide and for the life of the copyright and renewals, in all media.
- Clarification that the illustrator is a private contractor and not my employee.
- Permission for the illustrator to use the work on his/her website, but solely for the purposes of self-promotion (i.e. no sales or transfer of the work). Such self-promotional use must also include the copyright symbol with a credit to my company/website. Statement that the illustrator will be credited whenever my company uses his/her illustration.
- Both parties agree to New York state jurisdiction.
- Any other items that you may advise are necessary.
Because many Elance illustrators are not used to dealing with contracts, I hope to keep the contract as short as possible and the legal jargon to a minimum (so as to avoid scaring off talented people).
The contract should be delivered as a template, so that I can re-use it. I would hope to have this contract template delivered to me within one week of assigning the project, and to be consulted/advised at least twice during the contract's preparation.