Are You A PHP Coding Master? Prove It In Our “Code-Off” ChallengeElance_Alex | Nov 17, 2009
Today, Elance is adding a new and advanced type of Skill Test to our lineup that takes the assessment of one’s computer coding skill to the next level. These new types of tests, which we call "Code Tests", require you to demonstrate your code-writing skills in leading computer programming languages. We are initially releasing Code Tests for PHP and SQL, with many more languages to follow in the coming months.
To celebrate the launch of our new Code Test platform, we’re setting out to find the best, fastest, and most efficient coders out there on the ‘net. That’s why we’re hosting the first ever Elance “Code-Off” in PHP – the longtime number one skill in demand according to the Elance Work Index. The prize? $250 in cash and one year of premium membership on Elance (valued at $120) to the top 10
performing PHP programmers.
The new Code Tests are timed tests that require the test taker to work with actual code to solve a problem. Each test is made up of 10 questions with a time limit for completing the entire test and a recommended time for each question. The test taker will not only be required to solve the problem in the allotted time, but the code is scored based on how concisely written and how efficiently it uses system resources.
The PHP “code-off” begins now and ends on Noon PST, November 30, 2009 with the winners announced here on the Elance blog on December 1, 2009. To enter, simply complete the PHP Code Test on Elance before November 30, 2009.
Ready? Set. Code!
10 winners will receive $250 in cash and one year of premium membership on Elance, valued at $120.
Code Test: PHP
Code Test: SQL
All Skill Test Page
1. ELIGIBILITY: Elance’s “Code-Off” Challenge (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals who are, as of November 16, 2009, at least 18 years of age and have reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction within which they reside at time of the start of the contest. Entrants must have Internet access during the duration of the contest to participate. Entrants must also be the rightful owner of the Elance account associated with the winning Code Test score. Employees, directors and officers, and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses), and their respective household members, of Elance, Inc. ("Elance"), its affiliates, subsidiaries, and divisions, and advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to enter. U.S. law governs this Contest.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, Eligible Participants must complete the PHP Code Test on Elance with a valid final score and time. Entries must be completed earlier than 12:00 PM PST, November 30, 2009. NONCONFORMING ENTRIES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Elance shall not be obligated to but may in its sole discretion notify an Entrant of any nonconformity or defect in a Submission, and invite the Entrant to resubmit prior to the deadline for Code Test scores.
3. DETERMINATION OF WINNER: On December 1, Elance will announce the 10 best scores on the PHP Code Test on the Elance blog. In the event of a tie in score, time taken to complete the Code Test will be utilized as a tie-breaker.
4. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: You agree that the conditions of submission set forth in these Official Rules, and all documents and agreements incorporated in these Official Rules by reference, solely govern the relationship between you and Elance in connection with this Contest. You agree to complete the PHP Code Test without reverse engineering or altering the test in any way shape or form.
5. PRIZES: Each individual owner of the 10 highest scores on the PHP Code Test will receive $250 in cash deposited into their respective Elance account and 1 year of premium membership on Elance valued at $119.40. The prize will be awarded as $9.95 per month for 12 months that can be applied towards provider membership fees including purchasing additional categories or additional connects. There are no refunds and any remaining fees will not be carried over or reimbursed.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: ENTRANTS HEREBY AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS ELANCE INC. AND OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND SHAREHOLDERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "RELEASEES") FROM ANY CLAIMS, ACTIONS, INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST OR FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES. PARTICIPANTS AGREE THAT ELANCE HAS NOT MADE NOR IS IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, ELANCE DOES NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE ELANCE SITE AND ELANCE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS OR ERRORS RELATED THERETO. THESE TERMS GIVE YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. THE PROVISIONS REGARDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE VOID IN SOME PROVINCES WHERE IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE PRESCRIBED BY LAW. Releasees are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, or stolen entries or submissions, or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, human or electronic. Releasees are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a website, fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by Elance, users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user's system or limit a participant's ability to participate in the Contest. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Elance reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend part or all of this Contest, or modify these Official Rules at any time without notice, if in the Elance’s opinion there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or integrity and proper play of the Contest. In such event, Elance may void any entries it suspects are at issue and award prizes from among all eligible entries received up to the date of cancellation. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR ANY ONLINE SERVICE RELATED TO THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ELANCE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY'S FEES) FROM OR PURSUE INTERNAL, LEGAL, ADMINISTRATIVE, OR JUDICIAL ACTION AGAINST ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. Elance's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Elance reserves the right to disqualify entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an entrant is disqualified, Elance reserves the right to terminate that entrant's eligibility to participate in the Contest. Any attempts by an individual to access any website associated with this competition via a bot script or other brute force attack or any other unauthorized means will result in the IP address and all entries from that IP address becoming ineligible. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited.
7. WINNERS' LIST: For the names of the winners and finalists, available after December 1, 2009, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope by January 31, 2010 to: ELANCE “PHP Code Off” Contest Winners, 441 Logue Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94043.
8. SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR: The sponsor and administrator of this Contest is Elance, Inc., 441 Logue Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94043.
© Copyright 2009 Elance, Inc. All rights reserved. Entrants may copy these Official Rules solely for purposes of the Contest not for any other commercial purpose whatsoever.