HOW TO ENTER:
1. Tell your inspirational story about freelancing. It can be as simple as a sentence or two, or as intricate as a video, animation or anything else you can think of. Just be sure it speaks to the theme: How Freelancing Has Changed How I Live and Work.
2. Between September 19, 2012 and 11:59 pm PT September 30, 2012. Post your story on our Facebook Page or shoot us a tweet @elance with hashtag #Efreelanceday. Stories must be submitted by 11:59 pm PT on September 30, 2012. As the celebration continues, we’ll be highlighting stories on the Elance Blog and Elancer newsletter.
3. The top ten (10) stories will be the finalists, and Elance will determine the final winners from these submissions. There will be one (1) Grand Prize winner, one (1) second place winner, one (1) third place winner and seven (7) honorable mention winners. The winners will be announced by Elance on October 2, 2012.
4. Remember, the contest is open to all registered Elance Members who have an Elance Account in good standing at the time of entry, so if you don’t have an Account yet, sign up now—it's free!
Prizes will be awarded to contestants with the top ten (10) stories, as determined by Elance. The winner will be the one Elance feels best reflects the spirit of the contest. One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a new Apple iPad, a $100 iTunes gift card and a 12 month premium Elance membership. Second place will receive a Kindle Fire HD, a $100 Amazon gift card and a 12 month premium Elance membership. Third place will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and a 6 month premium Elance membership. Seven (7) honorable mention winners will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and a 3 month premium Elance membership. Only one prize allowed per contestant.
OFFICIAL ELANCE “INTERNATIONAL FREELANCERS DAY” CONTEST RULES:
1. ELIGIBILITY: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Elance’s International Freelancer’s Day Contest (the “Contest”) is open only to individuals who are, as of September 19, 2012, at least 18 years of age and have reached the age of majority in the jurisdiction within which they reside at time of the start of the contest, and have an Elance account in good standing. Entrants must have Internet access during the duration of the contest to participate. Entrants must also be the rightful owner of the e-mail address that is linked to the specific social media account use during Entrant’s submission. Employees, directors and officers, and their immediate families (spouse, parents, children, siblings, and their respective spouses), and their respective household members, of Elance, Inc. (“Elance”), its affiliates, subsidiaries, and divisions, and advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to enter. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. Void where prohibited by law.
2. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, Eligible Participants are to publish their stories to Elance’s Facebook Page or on Twitter, so long as it is public and readily available to view by any person with an Internet connection. Once published, entries must remain online and public throughout the duration of the contest. Users can notify Elance via Twitter (hash tag #Efreelanceday) or Elance’s Facebook Page (http://www.facebook.com/elance) to make their Submission official. Between 12:01 am Pacific Time (PT) on September 19, 2012 and 11:59 pm Pacific Time (PT) on September 30, 2012 (“Promotion Period”), eligible members of Elance can post a story of what freelancing has meant to them. NONCONFORMING ENTRIES WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. Elance shall not be obligated to but may in its sole discretion notify an Entrant of any nonconformity or defect in a Submission, and invite the Entrant to resubmit prior to the deadline for Submissions.
Stories must be in English and meet the technical specifications to be uploaded on Facebook or Twitter to be eligible. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. If more than one entry is received per person, only one entry will be eligible to be deemed a winner for the Contest. Only one prize allowed per contestant.
a. CONDITIONS OF ENTRY: As conditions of entry into this Contest, and by uploading and entering a Submission, Entrant warrants and represents that the Submission:
i. is original and has been legally obtained and created;
ii. does not infringe the intellectual property, privacy or publicity rights or any other legal or moral rights of any third party;
iii. does not violate applicable laws, regulations or network standards;
iv. has not been entered in previous contests or won previous awards; and has not been published or distributed previously in any media, except in conjunction with media related to this
Once you complete and submit your story, your Submission is final and may not be modified or edited further. Elance may, in its sole discretion, remove, delete and/or disqualify Submissions deemed to be inappropriate or otherwise noncompliant. The person uploading the Submission will be deemed the entrant. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, the entrant will be deemed the name appearing on the submission. You must have a valid Elance account and agree to the Elance Terms of Service, in order to be eligible to enter.
If Elance deems that the submission does not comply with the Official Rules of the Contest, the entrant's story will not appear on the Elance Facebook Page or Twitter or be eligible to participate in the Contest. The story must be entrant’s own original work including any statements, animations or background music, and cannot contain any copyrighted materials, except the trademarked Elance logo.
The entrant must retain the original media asset that was posted on the Elance Facebook Page. The submission cannot contain any unacceptable clothing or adornments and they must not contain defamatory statements (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or socioeconomic group); they may not contain any lewd or sexually explicit suggestive content; they may not contain any content that promotes use of alcohol, tobacco, firearms/weapons, or any violent, unsafe or dangerous behavior; they must not include threats to any person, place, business or group; they must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm, entity, and they must not in any other way violate applicable federal, state or local laws and regulations as determined by Elance, in its sole discretion. Submissions may not contain indecent behavior, profanities or obscenities, including but not limited to nudity or pornography, and may not in any way disparage persons or organizations associated with Elance; Elance/judges reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any entry that, in their sole opinion, refers, depicts or in any way reflects negatively upon Elance, the Contest or any other person or entity, or does not comply with these requirements or these Official Rules. Submissions must be suitable for presentation in a public forum, in sole determination of judges and/or Elance. If the submission contains any person(s) other than the entrant, by entering this video contest, entrant agrees to receive permission from other person(s) featured in video (or from parent/legal guardian if other person(s) featured are considered minors in their state of residence) for Elance to use their likenesses for publicity including posting on website(s) and can make written copies of such permissions available to the Elance upon request.
3. DETERMINATION OF WINNER: Between September 19, 2012 and September 30,2012, Elance will accept story submissions and include submissions on the Elance Facebook Page. Prizes will be awarded to contestants with the top ten (10) stories, as determined by the Elance. The winner will be the one Elance feels best reflects the spirit of the contest. One (1) Grand Prize winner, one (1) second place, one (1) third place winner and seven (7) finalist winners will be announced on the Elance Blog on October 2, 2012. Only one prize allowed per contestant.
4. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION: You hereby grant to Elance the right in perpetuity to own, use, edit, republish or display the Submission or any part of it, in any manner Elance may see fit and for any purpose whatsoever, without limitation of any kind. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you grant Elance the unrestrained rights to utilize the Submission in connection with Elance’s advertising, publicity, public displays, and exhibitions. You consent to the use of your name, Elance User ID (if available) and business descriptive materials for advertising, publicity, and promotional purposes by Elance, or a party designated by Elance, including but not limited to, any online announcements, without additional notice or compensation. You will defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Elance against any damage, cost, loss or expense arising from a claim, suit or proceeding brought against Elance alleging that your Submission: (i) infringes upon any intellectual property rights or (ii) misappropriates any trade secrets, of any third party. You agree that any and all disputes shall be governed by the laws of the State of California. You agree that the conditions of submission set forth in these Official Rules, and all documents and agreements incorporated in these Official Rules by reference, solely govern the relationship between you and Elance in connection with this Contest.
5. PRIZES: Prizes will be awarded to contestants with the top ten (10) stories, as determined by Elance judges. The winner will be the one Elance feels best reflects the spirit of the contest. One (1) Grand Prize winner will receive a new Apple iPad, a $100 iTunes gift card and a 12 month premium Elance membership. Second place will receive a Kindle Fire HD, a $100 Amazon gift card and a 12 month premium Elance membership. Third place will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and a 6 month premium Elance membership. Seven (7) honorable mention winners will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and a 3 month premium Elance membership. Only one prize allowed per contestant.
6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: ENTRANTS HEREBY AGREE TO RELEASE, INDEMNIFY, AND HOLD HARMLESS ELANCE INC. AND OUR AFFILIATES, SUBSIDIARIES, DIVISIONS, ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES, EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND SHAREHOLDERS (COLLECTIVELY, THE “RELEASEES”) FROM ANY CLAIMS, ACTIONS, INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST OR FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, OR USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED OR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PRIZE-RELATED ACTIVITY. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY IS A COMPREHENSIVE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY THAT APPLIES TO ALL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING (WITHOUT LIMITATION) COMPENSATORY, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; LOSS OF DATA, INCOME, OR PROFIT; LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY; AND CLAIMS OF THIRD PARTIES. PARTICIPANTS AGREE THAT ELANCE HAS NOT MADE NOR IS IN ANY MANNER RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY WARRANTY, REPRESENTATION, OR GUARANTEE, STATUTORY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, TITLE, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE), IN FACT OR IN LAW, RELATIVE TO THE CONTEST. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, ELANCE DOES NOT MAKE ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS WITH RESPECT TO THE ELANCE SITE AND ELANCE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR THE CONSEQUENCES OF ANY INTERRUPTIONS OR ERRORS RELATED THERETO. THESE TERMS GIVE YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS. THE PROVISIONS REGARDING IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE VOID IN SOME PROVINCES WHERE IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE PRESCRIBED BY LAW. Releasees are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, damaged, or stolen entries or submissions, or problems of any kind, whether mechanical, human or electronic. Releasees are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, telephone failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, inability to access a website, fraud, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions or inaccurate transcription of entry information, whether caused by Elance, users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions which may damage a user's system or limit a participant's ability to participate in the Contest. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. Elance reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend part or all of this Contest, or modify these Official Rules at any time without notice, if in the Elance’s opinion there is any suspected or actual evidence of electronic or non-electronic tampering with any portion of the Contest, or if virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or integrity and proper play of the Contest. In such event, Elance may void any entries it suspects are at issue and award prizes from among all eligible entries received up to the date of cancellation. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR ANY ONLINE SERVICE RELATED TO THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, ELANCE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY'S FEES) FROM OR PURSUE INTERNAL, LEGAL, ADMINISTRATIVE, OR JUDICIAL ACTION AGAINST ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION. Elance's failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. Elance reserves the right to disqualify entrants who violate the rules or interfere with this Contest in any manner. If an entrant is disqualified, Elance reserves the right to terminate that entrant's eligibility to participate in the Contest. Any attempts by an individual to access any website associated with this competition via a bot script or other brute force attack or any other unauthorized means will result in the IP address and all entries from that IP address becoming ineligible. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited.
7. WINNERS’ LIST: For the names of the winners (available after October 2, 2012), mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope by December 31, 2012 to: Elance International Freelancer’s Day Contest Winners, 441 Logue Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94043. You may also visit http://www.elance.com/blog and search for “International Freelancer’s Day Winners” after October 2, 2012
8. SPONSOR & ADMINISTRATOR: The sponsor and administrator of this contest is Elance, Inc., 441 Logue Avenue, Mountain View, CA, 94043.
Copyright ©2012 Elance, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Entrants may copy these Official Rules solely for purposes of the Contest and not for any other commercial purpose whatsoever.
Have more questions? Ask a question on the Elance blog or Elance Facebook page.