“Worthless translation due extremely poor quality done by incompetent or inexperienced person. Provider wasted around 50 hours of my work time, $328 US and much more time and money to fix his "translation".
Documents were well prepared and polished, we agreed on terms, the fact that he had to proofread final product and that 30% of funds will be frozen, until independent translator verifies quality. Article like content translation went relativity well, except that translations were in extremely poor quality, as it appeared later.
Bad things started when we moved to User Interface phase, where close communication is must. I'm providing clear instructions, provider say it's fixed, but you see it's not and then few iterations all over. Multiple times I asked myself "Do this guy understand English?" and then "OK, how he is translating from English then?". I was very patience and supportive, so we managed to "complete" this somehow.
Proofreading was revealing, by receiving the report I was shocked: significant changes in nearly every sentence he just translated? Even more, some instructions to me are in Chinese! Much more, some were inserted into text and not marked in any way! Provider responded, that "proofreading was done by friend", what is prohibited by project terms, but never figured out "instructions in Chinese" issue, since I clearly not indicated it, only mention that "I don't understand Chinese". After few iteration on Chinese instructions issue, I had to cancel project due providers incompetence.
Two separate translators assessed the situation:
1. "I would say the original translation is not good due to 20% of computer translation (very obvious ones I can tell), and 80% of rush job (a lot of spelling mistakes, improper translations, wrong translations)."
2. "very unprofessional and improper and not considers the background of your website"
Provider had good chance to accept responsibility, but he denies everything saying that translation quality is OK”