I am a technical writer based out of Chicago with 14 years of experience. I have worked with some of the biggest companies in Search Advertising, Finance, Insurance, and Industrial Manufacturing. I have completed projects in Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe FrameMaker, RoboHelp, MadCap Flare, Help&Manual, Help Maker, Microsoft PowerPoint, Visio, Photoshop, Quark, Actuate, DreamWeaver, and FrontPage.
Most of my work has focused on End User documentation such as user guides, training materials, on-line help, and system manuals. I have also done coursework development, online certification programs, test scripts, and video demonstration scripts.
I am experienced at creating end user documentation such as User Guides, System Documentation, Online Help, and Training Courses. I am a proficient writer and have been writing web content for the past 14 years.
My ideal projects will involve writing user documentation, creating online help, editing or proofreading documents, or writing content for a web site.
Illinois State University
Bachelor of Arts (English)
1995 - 1997
Elgin Community College
Associates of Arts (Communications)
1993 - 1994
Chicago Tech Writing Consultants
2009 - Present
• Working as a freelance Technical Writer on 1099 contracts.
• Used Adobe FrameMaker 9.0 to update existing user guides for an inventory management software company converting their application to a .NET framework.
• Developed training materials in Microsoft PowerPoint that were used by the sales force to train client users.
• Used Snag-It for screenshots and Microsoft Visual Studio for Source Control.
• Used Microsoft Word to update existing user guides for a company specializing in search advertising and audience targeting.
• Created online knowledge base containing all user documentation, training materials, release notes, press releases, FAQs, and a glossary of terms.
• Recorded screen activity and wrote scripts for online training videos.
• All work done remotely using video conferencing, conference calls, and email.
2009 - 2009
• Short-term W-2 contract updating FIXML message specification documents and developer reference guides using Adobe FrameMaker and Microsoft Visio.
• Interviewed SMEs to identify changes needed for each message in the current documentation.
• Worked with developers to create messaging diagrams and compile sample messages.
• Wrote release notes highlighting the specific changes in this release for distribution to the trading firms as a PDF and published to the customer support wiki.
• Used ClearCase for version control and Snag-It for screen captures.
2008 - 2009
• Worked as a Technical Writer for Google's Search Advertising division in Chicago.
• Wrote introductory guide, marketing materials, and online help for advertiser networking project based out of New York City office.
• Created inline tooltips and FAQs for the application’s UI.
• Authored Getting Started Guide and Best Practices documentation for new clients.
• Responsible for updating internal Wiki Knowledge Base with most current version of all documentation.
• Used MadCap Flare to create help systems for online data feed project and search advertising software.
• Created external users guide for both projects using Adobe FrameMaker.
• Used Microsoft Visio to create data flow diagrams reflecting how information is disseminated in the data feed project.
• Converted and maintained online help for sales reporting tool from RoboHelp X5 to MadCap Flare.
• Worked extensively with various software packages including: Microsoft Office, Adobe FrameMaker, RoboHelp, MadCap Flare, Google Docs, and Visio Designer.
Senior Technical Writer/Trainer
2002 - 2008
Worked on a W-2 Contract at the Options Clearing Corporation in downtown Chicago.
Greenbrier & Russel
2002 - 2002
Worked on a W-2 Contract at the Board of Trade Clearing Corporation in downtown Chicago.
Greenbrier & Russel
1998 - 2001
Bradford & Galt
1997 - 1997
Worked as a contract employee at Caterpillar Inc. in East Peoria, IL.