(Elance occasionally shows Dawn's location as the Bahamas, where she travels frequently. However, Dawn is a US citizen, Florida resident, American-born and educated, and native English speaker.)
Dawn is a freelance writer (and former lawyer and educator) who will craft engaging content and provide superior writing by channeling her extensive experience, skills, creativity and zeal into each project.
• More than 14 years of experience as a practicing attorney (J.D.) and educational consultant (M.Ed.).
• Finely honed writing and editing skills: legal, educational, business, creative, motivational and online writing.
• Extremely organized, detail-oriented, timely and self-motivated.
• Proficient in blog writing, web content and social media.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills: experienced speaker and presenter.
In addition to top-notch writing skills, Dawn stands out for her ability to:
*Understand many different types of audiences and writing needs by capitalizing upon her extensive and varied experience in law, education, nonprofit organizations, world travel, inspirational blogs and more.
*Write naturally in professional, academic, legal or conversational tones and convey the information in a clear and understandable manner, no matter the writing style.
*Communicate well before, during and after the project to ensure that each client receives precisely what he or she had in mind.
* NEVER miss a deadline and always present information in a highly organized fashion, with great attention to detail.
Dawn is an intelligent and highly skilled writer who can write well on just about any topic. However, she does not believe in a “one size fits all” approach to writing. Dawn only selects projects in which she has personal experience and personal interest. For you, this means that if you and Dawn decide to work together, you will benefit from a writer who, in addition to her professional dedication and perfectionism, is personally invested in your project as if it were her own.
Dawn’s experience and services include:
* LAW - All types of research and writing needs for law firms and law firm websites. An attorney since 1997, Dawn was a partner in a well-respected Chicago law firm with 50+ attorneys. She has a thorough understanding of the legal world, writes skillfully on legal topics, and is experienced in writing legal copy and PR for law firm websites, newsletters, blogs, business development pieces, internal Firm documents and other publications.
* EDUCATION - All research and writing related to schools and education. Dawn holds a Master’s Degree in Educational Organization and Leadership and has worked in a variety of educational settings and roles, including as a college instructor, consultant to K-12 school districts, and school law attorney. In the education arena, Dawn has written syllabi, articles, PowerPoint presentations, newsletter alerts, extensive academic and legal reports, communications to parents, press releases, web content and board of education policies and administrative procedures in all areas of the day-to-day operation of schools.
* BUSINESS - Effective corporate profiles, professional business letters and documents, corporate blogs, website content. Dawn’s experience in corporate America, her professional style and dependable attention to detail position her as a skilled business writer. As a partner in a law firm, Dawn advised clients on business and operational matters, and she drafted, negotiated and reviewed hundreds of contracts. Dawn also authored articles, PowerPoint presentations, electronic newsletter updates, Firm website content, extensive written reports, legal opinion letters, legal briefs and memoranda, letters to public officials and agencies, internal business documents and drafted business letters on behalf of clients.
* NONPROFITS - Documents and Guidance for Nonprofit Organizations (incorporation, filings, mission statements, bylaws, governance and operating issues). During Dawn’s 10 years of practice in a law firm, she routinely advised nonprofit clients on these matters and drafted the necessary documents
* TRAVEL - Travel articles and blogs, with a Caribbean specialty. Dawn loves seeing the world, travels frequently and lives now on a small island in the Bahamas (with a U.S. base in Florida). The island is a hub for the surrounding area, and Dawn enjoys interaction with an international community of tourists, yachts, boaters, sailors and pilots. Dawn started a blog about island living at www.choosingthebetterlife.com and receives feedback from readers who enjoy her writing skills, conversational style and ability to transport them to the places she describes.
* PERSONAL STATEMENTS - Powerful and unique Personal Statements and Diversity Statements for admission to college, university, graduate and law schools. Having successfully applied to multiple law schools and graduate schools, Dawn is well-versed in the process and understands the urgent need to submit strong and unique statements. She enjoys helping others succeed on their educational paths and is perfectly situated to assist you.
* CAREER/LIFE CHANGE & MOTIVATIONAL – Motivational, Empowerment, Inspirational or Spiritual writings for articles, newsletters, blogs and more. Dawn has changed course in her career and is well-placed to offer guidance on planning for and implementing significant career/life changes. In 2011, Dawn left her Chicago law firm to live on a small island in the Bahamas (with a U.S. base in Florida), where she enjoys freelance writing, island living and the elusive "work-life balance." Dawn's research exposed her to a wide range of viewpoints on career/life change, from the practical to the inspirational. Dawn started a blog about her own journey of change at www.choosingthebetterlife.com. Dawn's blog readers enthusiastically praise her for her writing style and warm personality and report that they find her posts helpful and inspiring.
* OTHER – Summaries/Abstracts, Book Reviews, Greeting Cards, Song Lyrics, Poetry, Prose and more.
This Service Description is not comprehensive, so please contact Dawn to discuss your specific project needs!
University of Illinois, College of Law
University of Illinois, College of Education
Master's of Education
Franczek Radelet P.C. (formerly Franczek Sullivan)
2001 - 2011
• Practiced school law in a 50+ attorney law firm in which education clients included more than 100 public school districts, the Chicago Public Schools, the Illinois State Board of Education, private schools and higher education institutions.
• Authored articles, PowerPoint presentations, electronic newsletter updates, Firm website content, extensive written reports, legal opinion letters, legal briefs and memoranda, letters to public officials and agencies, internal business documents and drafted letters on behalf of clients.
• Served as the Firm’s first Community Investment Officer (February 2006-2011) and coordinated all philanthropic, service and pro bono activities of the law firm.
• Presented education law seminars to board members, administrators and education organizations.
• On a daily basis, advised boards of education, superintendents and administrators in all aspects of education law, with an emphasis on policy and business-related matters.
• Drafted, negotiated and reviewed contracts, including administrator contracts, vendor agreements, intergovernmental agreements, facility use agreements, independent contractor agreements, technology contracts, property leases, police liaison and reciprocal reporting agreements and more.
• Drafted board of education policies and administrative procedures in all areas of the day-to-day operation of schools.
• Wrote formal opinion letters and advised clients on an array of issues, such as copyright, student records, open meetings, political activities, public bidding process, open meetings and waiver forms.
• Provided comprehensive guidance on all aspects of Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, exemptions, responses, procedural requirements and interactions with the Attorney General’s office.
• Counseled school district clients regarding school desegregation (including seven years advising a client in the implementation of its federal consent decree and preparing written reports).
• Guided educational foundations, booster clubs, parent-teacher organizations and other groups in the establishment and maintenance of not-for-profit corporations.
Southeastern Equity Center
Legal Affairs Specialist
1998 - 2001
* Advised school districts in 8 southern states regarding school desegregation and educational equity issues related to race, national origin and gender.
* Analyzed consent decree court orders, Office for Civil Rights Resolution Agreements, school district policies and made recommendations for civil rights compliance and educational improvement.
* Designed and presented workshops for school boards, educators and community members on school desegregation, unitary status, racial/ethnic/sexual harassment, diversity and educational equity.
* Developed joint initiatives with the U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, NAACP Legal Defense Fund and others to resolve educational concerns.