A professional researcher, analyst, and college educator, with a creative flair... I seek interesting opportunities to use my writing / editing expertise, especially related to science or the environment.
What is BIOTIC SYNTAX? Scientific consulting including research, writing, editing and french-english translation, from an environmental biologist with twenty years of professional experience and a passion for making the technical reachable. I can offer original study design, analysis, project management | education materials, technical translation | excellent analytical, communication, and organizational skills + a dash of humour.
My specialties include biology, ecology, resource management, environmental studies, and teaching science. An avid traveller, my international work experiences enrich my approach to research, writing and teaching.
[ Happy to accept invitations in other categories, e.g. Admin for research, Finance & Mgmt for analysis ].
I can provide the following skills and services:
SCIENCE: I am a field Ecologist / Conservation Biologist educated in the fields of Biology and Environmental Studies. My research interests include biodiversity, ecology, ornithology, resource policy, wildlife management, and environmental restoration.
- environmental work of all kinds, including project management
- independent or collaborative research, including data analysis, interpretation and communication of results
- educational materials such as curriculum development, lesson plans and original learning activities for students of any age
WRITING: my specialties are science, ecology, environment, natural history and education, birds, ecotourism / adventure travel, sustainable building and design, and other "green" initiatives. (And, perhaps random: knitting!) I can communicate complex ideas in a clear and dynamic style. My work is published in many peer-reviewed journals and in popular media.
- general technical writing, briefing notes, background papers, and reports
- creative / content writing: articles, stories, blog posts, presentations, as required
- summarizing scientific and technical material: e.g. medical research, financial information, statistical analysis
- proofreading, copy editing and editing technical material (articles, presentations, proposals, theses)
- aiding authors whose mother tongue is not English with the publication process
- help with funding and research proposals
TRANSLATION: French-to-English translation (mother tongue English).
I work with a small translation company, where I am partnered with another translator who proofs my work to ensure the highest quality. We also handle French proofreading and editing, along with translation to French, Spanish, and many other languages. Our clients include government, education, corporate, and non-profit organizations.
MORE ABOUT MY PROFESSIONAL HISTORY
I have worked as a biologist, analyst and project manager in diverse sectors: academic, corporate, government, and non-profit. Thus, I have a unique ability to communicate complex ideas in a clear fashion, with people from a variety of backgrounds.
The experience I bring to the table includes work with the following organizations:
* With UNIVERSITIES, I have conducted research in many remote locations :: Northern: Churchill, MB, Nunavut, Newfoundland, and Queen Charlotte Islands, BC in Canada; and in the Aleutian Islands and Kodiak, Alaska, USA. :: Tropical : Central America (Panama, Trinidad and Tobago), Africa (Madagascar).
- University of Guelph, Canada
- Brock University, Canada
- Queen's University, Canada
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Melbourne, Australia
* I have also worked for the following Departments and Agencies within the GOVERNMENT of Canada:
- Canadian Wildlife Service / Environment Canada
- National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy
- Parks Canada
- House of Commons
University of Toronto
PhD Ecology & Evolution / Environmental Studies
MSc Biology (evolutionary biology, conservation)
University of Guelph
BSc Biology (botany, ecology, resources, wildlife)
several Universities and Government Departments
consulting Researcher, Biologist &Technical Writer
1990 - Present
Freelance consultant with several Universities, Government Departments, and currently (2013) my main client is a translation company. Details in "Service Description" section, above.
Université Laval, Québec, QC, Canada
Postdoctoral Fellow, Boreal Avian Modeling Project
2007 - 2010
University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Teaching Assistant and Doctoral Researcher
2002 - 2008
House of Commons, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Environmental Policy Advisor
1997 - 1999