Sep 29, 2014|Private|Editing & Proofreading|Completed|
Our project is a language learning tool, that we have translated to multiple languages.
- a proofreader to double-check the French translation -budget for this is max. $100, (approx. 10k words to proofread)
- Japanese translator (the whole project is 16,074 words) - budget for this is no more than $200.
Please submit y...
Skills: english-japanese translation, french, proofreading
“While my experience with this freelancer wasn't entirely negative, I have had issues with communication and delivery.
For some reason, even though I clearly asked her to do so upon awarding the job, the translator never reviewed the full scope of work. However, about a week into her work she wrote me requesting more money. That was something that right off the start did not impress me.
Then, we were having issues with the file. Somehow, settings were changed somewhere in the spreadsheet and I could not see corrections to my text. When I specifically requested the translator to highlight the changes she made so I could see them - she plainly refused.
Lastly, I really did not appreciate daily reminders to release the Escrow funds, which by the way, she requested to be put in before she even started work. That was fine, however, daily emails requesting to be paid was frustrating to deal with, especially in light of the difficulties we were having receiving the final product in satisfactory form.
All in all, I would not recommend her and would not work with her again. This whole experience with this person left a very bitter taste in my mouth.”
“This client cannot be trusted for the following reasons :
first of all, he didn't fund the escrow when he accepted my proposal. Shall I remind that this is an Elance rule for the client to put the escrow fund when he accepts the proposal of a freelancer ? (in case of a fixed price job like this one) Indeed, as Elance told me, a freelancer doesn't have to start the job if the escrow is not funded by the client.
Secondly, the client announced me a word count of about 10.000 to proofread and I found myself with more than 17.000 words in the end to proofread! Of course I made a mistake by not recounting the real amount (trusting the client), but, to me, giving such an approximated word count really looks like going too far !
Thirdly, the problem with the file was not that settings (so as to see my corrections) were changed but just that the client didn't know how to use Excel in order to see the corrections ; I needed to explain to the client how it worked so as he be able to see the corrections! And it wasn’t a problem of compatibility either(as the client was thinking) because I opened the file with another computer which had another Excel version to check ; therefore this is why I didn't accept to highlight my corrections as they were indeed visible...
So, Dear Client, please read the Elance rules before using the platform, and learn how to use Excel.
I’m sorry I frustrated you with my reminders but it's more proper to pay the freelancer on time.”