I have a B.A. in English, and for nine years I did editing and writing work for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York. My duties included editing, writing, and proofreading business proposals, newsletters, journalistic pieces, website copy, press releases, and blog entries, which covered more than forty different practice areas (www.phillipslytle.com). In addition, my freelance nonfiction work has appeared in "Buffalo Spree Magazine," the "Buffalo News," and the "New York Law Journal"; a one-act play that I wrote was produced on stage in Buffalo, New York, in January of 2007; and I've had two fiction stories published in electronic magazines.
My editing, which is based on "The Chicago Manual of Style," is extremely accurate and detailed, and I always strive for grammatical and syntactical perfection. My goal is to make your written work as clear, concise, and readable as possible. With respect to copywriting, my tone ranges from professional, scholarly, and formal to relaxed, edgy, witty, and quirky depending on your needs.
My skills, experience, and accomplishments include the following:
- Scoring in the top 10% of all Elance providers for "The Chicago Manual of Style" English Editing Skills Test (U.S. version) and the U.S English Grammar Test for Writing Professionals.
- Editing and writing copy for attorneys that has appeared in print in the "Metropolitan Corporate Counsel," "American British Business," the "Albany Law Review," and the "New York Law Journal."
- Editing marketing materials for Aars | Wells, an ad agency in Dallas, Texas, that has earned more than 75 local, national, and international awards for creative excellence.
- Editing copy for Trizic, a technology company that provides high-performance, web-based investment management solutions to financial institutions.
- Editing marketing materials for ExamSoft, a computer-based testing company and the trusted partner for hundreds of academic, certifying, and licensing institutions, including 38 state bar examiners.
- Writing and editing more than 200 business proposals, which have helped generate millions of dollars in legal fees for a law firm.
- Writing journalistic pieces for "Buffalo Spree Magazine," a national award-winning monthly publication.
Buffalo State College
1985 - 1990
Phillips Lytle LLP
Business Development Manager
2003 - 2012
Responsible for writing, editing, and proofreading a wide variety of business and marketing copy for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York.
Buffalo Spree Magazine
2004 - 2006
Contributed artist profiles and special features to "Buffalo Spree Magazine," a national award-winning monthly publication based in Western New York. Had a cover story published about Gaelic football in July 2005.
The Gow School
2002 - 2003
Grant writer for a private school that specialized in educating those suffering from dyslexia.
Inside Sales Representative
1990 - 1997
Promoted to Senior Sales Account Executive in 1996 for the world's largest computer distributor. Helped close a $50 million annual purchasing agreement in 1996 with the largest computer reseller in the Southeast at the time (Bethco, Inc.). Named outstanding sales person of the month three times. Worked directly with a wide variety of decision makers at small, medium-sized, and large computer resellers to increase territory revenue and meet a monthly sales quota.