I have a B.A. in English, and for nine years I edited business and marketing copy for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York, Philips Lytle LLP. I've also edited books for Happy About, a publishing house in California. In addition, my freelance nonfiction work has appeared in "Buffalo Spree" magazine, the "Buffalo News," and the "New York Law Journal"; a one-act play that I wrote was staged at a small theatre in Buffalo, New York, in January 2007; and I've had four flash-fiction stories published in electronic literary magazines.
My editing, which is based on "The Chicago Manual of Style," is extremely accurate and detailed, and I always strive for grammatical and syntactical perfection. My goal is to make your written work as clear, concise, and readable as possible. With respect to copywriting, my tone ranges from professional, scholarly, and formal to relaxed, edgy, witty, and quirky depending on your needs.
My skills, experience, and accomplishments include the following:
- Scoring in the top 10% of all Elance providers for "The Chicago Manual of Style" English Editing Skills Test (U.S. version) and the U.S English Grammar Test for Writing Professionals.
- Editing a book for an Elance client titled “The Chi of Change,” which was an Amazon number one best seller.
- Editing and writing copy for attorneys that has appeared in print in the "Metropolitan Corporate Counsel," "American British Business," the "Albany Law Review," and the "New York Law Journal."
- Editing marketing materials for Aars | Wells, an ad agency in Dallas, Texas, that has earned more than 75 local, national, and international awards for creative excellence.
- Writing journalistic pieces for "Buffalo Spree" magazine, a national award-winning monthly publication.
Buffalo State College
1985 - 1990
Phillips Lytle LLP
Business Development Manager
2003 - 2012
Responsible for editing a wide variety of business and marketing copy for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York, Phillips Lytle LLP.
2004 - 2006
Contributed artist profiles and special features to "Buffalo Spree" magazine, a national award-winning monthly publication based in Western New York. Had a cover story published about Gaelic football in July 2005.
The Gow School
2002 - 2003
Grant writer for a private school that specialized in educating those suffering from dyslexia.
Inside Sales Representative
1990 - 1997
Promoted to Senior Sales Account Executive in 1996 for the world's largest computer distributor. Helped close a $50 million annual purchasing agreement in 1996 with the largest computer reseller in the Southeast at the time (Bethco, Inc.). Named outstanding sales person of the month three times. Worked directly with a wide variety of decision makers at small, medium-sized, and large computer resellers to increase territory revenue and meet a monthly sales quota.