I have a B.A. in English, and for nine years I did editing and writing work for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York. My duties included editing, writing, and proofreading proposals, newsletters, client alerts, pitch letters, journalistic pieces, website copy, press releases, and blog entries, which covered a wide variety of topics (www.phillipslytle.com). In addition, my freelance nonfiction work has appeared in "Buffalo Spree Magazine," where I primarily covered the arts scene for two years; the "Buffalo News"; and the "New York Law Journal." A one-act play that I wrote was even produced on stage in Allentown, New York, in January of 2007.
My editing is accurate and detailed. My writing is clear, concise, and straightforward, and my tone ranges from professional, academic, and formal to relaxed, edgy, witty, and quirky depending on your needs. I've never missed a deadline either. If you give me an assignment, you will be very happy with the results and the experience, I promise.
My skills, experience, and accomplishments include:
- Scoring in the top 10% of all Elance providers for “The Chicago Manual of Style” English Editing Skills Test (U.S. version) and the U.S English Grammar Test for Writing Professionals.
- Helping attorneys with a variety of writing and editing assignments. This includes writing, editing, and revising copy that has appeared in print in the "Metropolitan Corporate Counsel," "American British Business," the "Albany Law Review," and the "New York Law Journal."
- Editing marketing materials for ExamSoft, a computer-based testing company and the trusted partner for hundreds of academic, certifying, and licensing institutions, including 38 state bar examiners.
- Doing book editing for Happy About, a publishing house in California.
- Writing and editing more than 200 business proposals, which have helped generate millions of dollars in legal fees for a law firm.
- Having a cover story about Gaelic football published in “Buffalo Spree Magazine” in July 2005.
Buffalo State College
1985 - 1990
Phillips Lytle LLP
Business Development Manager
2003 - 2012
- Responsible for writing, editing, and proofreading a wide variety of business and marketing copy for the second biggest law firm in Buffalo, New York.
Buffalo Spree Magazine
2004 - 2006
- Contributed artist profiles and special features to "Buffalo Spree Magazine," a national award-winning monthly publication and Western New York's only city and regional magazine. Had a cover story published about Gaelic football in July 2005.
The Gow School
2002 - 2003
- Grant writer for a private school that specializes in educating those suffering from dyslexia.
Inside Sales Representative
1990 - 1997
- Promoted to Senior Sales Account Executive in 1996 for the world’s largest computer distributor. Helped close a $50 million annual purchasing agreement in 1996 with the largest computer reseller in the Southeast at the time (Bethco, Inc.). Named outstanding sales person of the month three times. Worked directly with a wide variety of decision makers at computer resellers of all sizes to increase territory revenue and meet a monthly sales quota.