My background is as a full-stack developer, that's from front-end to back-end. However, I'm focusing on Oracle, PL/SQL & Java for now.
Read More »
I've been working in contract roles for 20+ years. I pride myself on clear written communication which is essential for this type of remote freelancing work.
With respect to data modelling my approach is two-fold:
1) Acquire intimate empathy for the client's objectives;
2) Model on the assumption they'll change their mind or expand requirements in the future;
When it comes to database design my policy is:
1) Normalize until it hurts;
2) Then de-normalize until it works;
As for Java and PL/SQL coding my approach is:
1) Name everything carefully and comment clearly so the next guy can easily understand it;
2) Organize and structure code for flexibility to enhance in the future;
3) Unit test and write test scripts to ensure future changes don't break anything;
Instead of all that to & fro between the web server & the DB for a single complex transaction, why not code that logic in PL/SQL for 1 round trip to the DB? Better performance and less network traffic.
Read More »