Mary Castillo is a public relations and social media consultant and writer. She specializes in identifying news worthy stories and strategies to engage media on behalf of her clients. As a social media consultant, she develops and crafts content to build audiences among stakeholders, potential clients as well as reporters and media.
Read More »
A former reporter for the Los Angeles Times Community Newspapers and magazine writer, Mary knows how to approach the press and secure commitments that lands her clients and their stories on local, regional and...
Commissioned to publicize a summer market within a two week launch date
Picked up by...
Drafted and edited a press release that engaged local media
Mary's client assigned her to contact an employee and draft, edit and distribute a...
By working with the client, Mary identified the story potential, pitched the idea to...
Mary successfully pitched this interview idea to the editor of Tu Ciudad Magazine. She...
Mary was hired to interview and write an indepth profile of Israeli Singer Yasmin Levy....
Mary has contributed three feature stories to Romance Writers Report, utilizing her own...
Mary organized a New Year's Blog Tour with eight different authors. She had heard of...
Mary regularly drafted and published opinion editorials on behalf of her client for the...
social media marketing
Media strategy planning
Social media content developing and management
Web content, SEO
Press release writing and distribution
Targeting appropriate media with client stories
On-site media management at events
Feature story writing
Newsletter writing and editing
eBook formatting for ePub and Mobi
Develop collateral material such as press kits, brochures, annual reports, talking points and presentations
Read More »
Hoag Hospital Foundation's 552 Club
Public relations consultant
2010 - 2012
Develop and execute publicity plans for the Hoag 552's fund-raising events such as the 2011 Forum on Healthcare Reform, Annual Christmas Carol Ball and Hoag Movie Screening.
First Team Real Estate Inc.
Public Relations Coordinator
2003 - 2004
• Media contact for all press inquiries and special projects.
• Coordinated weekly features submission calendar that included the Orange County Register, Los Angeles Times and other community...
Los Angeles Times Community News
2002 - 2003
• Covered city hall, schools, public safety and any breaking news for the Coastline Pilot, Huntington Beach Independent and Daily Pilot.
• Wrote and filed an average of seven articles a week...
Interactive Advertising Writer
2000 - 2001
• Worked on a team of account managers, graphic artists and programmers to develop websites, product CDs and print collateral for clients that included Hewlett-Packard, Ruby's and Fender Guitars.
1999 - 2000
• Worked directly with realtors to create personalized marketing brochures.
• Conducted interviews, drafted and edited copy and designed tri-fold, full-color brochures.
• Coordinated printing and...
USC Public Relations
Executive Assistant to the Associate Vice Presiden
1996 - 1999
• Drafted, edited and distributed all communications from the Associate Vice President.
• Scheduled and organized staff meetings.
• Organized citywide symposium on the arts in conjunction with the...
University of Southern California
Bachelor of Arts, History
1992 - 1996