An experienced expert in informative-technical writing & business communication.
The credentials, experience and skills you are looking for in business communication, informative writing, customer messaging. An engineer with over a decade in the technical trenches, Don has spent the last 12 years:
- Creating diverse business & technical content
- Working in business and academic publishing
- Producing business documents like procedures & user manuals
- Publishing business manuals based on best practices
- Teaching university writing and technical communication
- Writing weekly articles focusing on improvement and communication
- Leading seminars on process improvement and quality
With 20+ years of communication experience, Don understands how people use information. He has studied topics like document design, accessibility, and clarity academically - then applied it in the real world.
Engineer-Instructor-Technical Writer-Business Writer-ISO 9001 Expert
Reed Content & Communication Inc provides highly professional, substantive content. Few providers can match Don Reed's experience and credentials. If you want content that engages readers as well as provides them with the information they need and want - Reed Content can deliver.
Don Reed has professional experience as a:
- Freelance Technical and Business Writer
- R & D Engineer and Programmer
- University Technical Writing and Business Writing Instructor
- University English Composition and Research Writing, Instructor
- Managing Editor of Internationally Recognized Academic Journal
- Business/Technical Writer for Business Publisher
- Business Improvement, ISO 9001, and Quality Consultant
- Business and ISO 9001 Trainer
Additionally, Don has a BS in Electrical Engineering and a MA in Communication
Don Reed knows how to clearly convey important information in a variety of formats. Don Reed has the theoretical background and the practical experience to provide the best in business communication and technical writing. Reed Content & Communication is the best professional resource for your communication needs, including;
- Policies and Procedures
- Articles, White Papers, and Academic Writing
- Training Development and Training Delivery
- Sales Brochures and Sales Presentations
- SEO Web Copy
- User Guides, User Manuals, and Instructions
- Work Instructions and Visual Workplace
Don has extensive experience with writing-developing documents and materials in all areas of organizational communication. You will not find a writing service with the education and experience behind Reed Content & Communication Inc. We are confident you will be highly satisfied with our professional communication service.
American Society of Quality
Certified Quality Auditor
International Register of Certified Auditors
ISO 9001 Lead Auditor
St. Louis Universtiy
Master of Arts - Communication (Research)
Southern Illinois University
Bachelor of Science - Electrical Engineering
1982 - 1986
Reed Content & Communication
2010 - Present
Provide professional technical writing, business communication, and training services to a wide range of organizations. With a diverse and unique background that includes informative writing, engineering, university writing instruction, business training, business/process improvement, compliance, and web design/content - few can match Don's experience, knowledge, and skills.
Whether it's procedures, articles, sales materials, academic/white papers, web content, user guides, or training programs - Reed Content & Communication is committed to providing the highest level of writing and communication
Business Publisher and Consultant
Director of Technical Writing & Communication
2006 - 2009
A writer, trainer, and consultant in a business improvement and business publishing company focused on applying quality and management tools to help organizations become more effective and efficient. The position encompasses managing multiple internal and external projects and a broad range of duties including the following:
- Technical Writer: Create (research, write, edit) off-the-shelf business and procedure manuals based on best practices describing operational segments like Sales & Marketing, Finance, Accounting, Computer & Network, and Quality Management Systems. Also created procedures, work instructions, and other documentation for a wide array of external clients.
- Business Writer: Author weekly business improvement-themed article sent to over 20,000 subscribers, which are then added to an informative archive/blog and occasionally republished in other forums.
- Instructor: Design and teach public business training courses, particularly Well-Defined Processes emphasizing understanding and continually improving processes, and ISO 9001 Internal Auditing which covers all aspects of an ISO 9001 Internal Audit program.
- Consultant: External consultant assisting small and medium-sized businesses in creating efficient and effective processes (office and production), and assist with developing processes and procedures that comply with regulations and standards such as Sarbanes-Oxley and ISO 9001,.
- Marketing Communication: Assist with marketing communication by creating and editing web copy geared to combine informative content, product messages, and keyword use to improve organic search placement. Regularly produce other business and promotional materials such as letters, press releases, brochures, and newsletters for internal use and for clients.
- Internal Quality Leader: Developed internal processes, procedures, work instructions, forms, and other documentation for an ISO 9001 Quality Management System, and played key role in achieving ISO 9001 Certification.
Nationally Recognized Academic Journal
2005 - 2007
Managed the operation and publication of a quarterly academic journal published through the cooperation of the History Department at Saint Louis University and Penn State University Press.
- Oversaw manuscripts through review and decision, then copyediting and production if published.
- Supervised full and part-time staff for copyediting, layout, and production.
- Created all ancillary journal material (i.e. front & back matter), journal correspondence, and journal promotional materials (including web pages).
- Coordinated activities and staff as well as produced all materials for 2006 Policy History Conference.
- Internet promotional efforts to increase journal awareness led to a record number of submissions in 2006 and an 80% increase in the participation at the 2006 Policy History Conference.
A Top 25 Private University
Technical & Business Writing Instructor
2000 - 2007
Designed and taught intermediate and advanced technical communication courses that integrated communication theory, user/reader needs, writing, document/page design, and technology.
-Guided students in creating professional reports, work instructions, manuals, letters, and web pages.
- Incorporated use of technology with writing instruction to enhance content and productivity.
A Fortune 200 Manufacturer
R&D Manufacturing Project Engineer
1992 - 1999
Responsible for all facets of designing and building automated manufacturing equipment used in the production of electronic circuit assemblies and electrical components at multiple world-wide facilities.
- Responsible for all levels of design and development ranging from system design and integration to circuit design and writing operational software in a variety of programming languages.
- Managed large technical projects including schedules, budgets, and coordinating suppliers, fabricators, internal departments, and customers. A 100% on-time and in-budget success rate.
- A key participant in improving manufacturing processes using data collection and statistical analysis, and through participation in corrective action teams and other committees. Played a central role in conversion to Just-in-Time manufacturing and gaining ISO 9001 Certification.
- A company leader in creating document templates and document management systems for manufacturing, quality control, and compliance with ISO 9001, UL, AGA, and other standards.
- Reduced equipment development time by 30% through creating standardized templates, documents, and procedures, and through creating standard equipment and part sets.