Let me handle your technology problems so you can stay focused on what's really important to you: your business.
Read More »
I provide service to clients who need thorough, detailed work performed on their software or systems. Mostly I work with Ruby and C on Linux.
I have almost twenty years of experience working in the software industry. Whatever challenge you're facing right now, odds are I've encountered it before.
My specialities include
- Design and implementation of true REST APIs and other means of integrating disparate software components.
- Speech-driven applications using VoiceXML and related technologies.
- Solutions for processing and presenting public-transit data in General Transit Feed Specification (GTFS) format.
- Rapid debugging and optimization of software and databases.
- Porting of UNIX- or Linux-based software to Windows.
Years of heartache as a corporate software developer taught me what really matters when it comes to delivering successful software projects. Here are a few of the principles that guide my work:
- Data sanctity: Nothing is more valuable or harder to replace than your own data. Ensuring the safety of your data is my top priority. The software I write embodies this principle, too.
- Effective communication: Nobody likes a freelancer who accepts a job and disappears. I'll remain reachable throughout the project by email and Skype, and will provide you with daily status reports so you can follow my progress.
- Solution robustness: Making a computer do what you want is easy; making sure it doesn't do what you don't want is significantly harder. I use test-driven development to guide my work and help me deliver a high-quality, reliable solution---I know what it's like to be woken up at 3...
Read More »
Xenos Group Inc.
Development Manager, infoWEB
2007 - 2009
Led a team of software developers responsible for the maintenance of infoWEB, a report capture, processing and distribution platform used by municipal governments and large corporations.
Xenos Group Inc.
Senior Technical Consultant, Professional Services
2006 - 2007
Coached and mentored co-op students and other new hires via collaborative development projects designed to explore potential new markets for Xenos software and services.
Senior Speech User Interface Designer, AOLbyPhone
2000 - 2003
Designed key speech-driven apps for the AOLbyPhone service, including the popular Email app later used as the basis for AOL Voicemail. Led "Wizard of Oz" usability-testing sessions.
Speech User Interface Designer
2000 - 2000
Designed key apps for the Quack.com voice-portal service, an innovative, speech-driven application that allowed users to retrieve information from the Internet using any regular telephone.