With more than 10 years of experience as a writer and educator, my strength is developing--and helping you develop--engaging and accessible media and learning experiences.
Read More »
My writing focuses on your audience: what do they already know, and what do you want them to learn? I excel at simplifying complex scientific and technical topics.
Whether written for a lay audience or for specialists in your field, most text can benefit from being looked over by an editor's fresh, unbiased eye. I can provide whatever editorial services...
I have the qualities most needed in an editor and proofreader: I am meticulous, detail-oriented, and knowledgeable about grammar, usage, and style.
I'm a quick learner, and my academic background includes training in engineering and in the natural, physical, and social sciences, so I'm prepared to take on research and writing tasks on a wide variety of topics.
Here's what my most recent editing client had to say about my work: "[Susan] was clear, accurate and observant, and truly served to enhance the show. We appreciated her knowledge of exhibits/museums/audiences, and at the same time, we were impressed with the details she caught and corrected as a reader."
Writing and Editing Experience
- Researched and wrote concept documents, content outlines, and exhibit text for museum exhibitions on a wide variety of topics; edited documents written by other staff
- Edited grant proposals for various departments at the Museum of Science, Boston
- Wrote or edited research and evaluation reports on visitor experiences at several informal learning institutions
- Wrote software instructions for users of a museum computer lab
- Repurposed and edited print materials for web site of the Sanford Institute of Public Policy at Duke University
- Proofread and indexed _Interpreting NAFTA_ by Frederick W. Mayer
- Prepared and formatted for publication tables and charts for _When Schools Compete: A Cautionary Tale_ by Helen Ladd and Edward Fiske
- Wrote column on science and education...
Read More »
Museum of Science, Boston
2004 - 2008
- Researched, wrote, and/or edited curriculum materials, concept documents, content outlines, exhibit labels, project reports, and grant proposals on topics in the natural sciences, physical...