Writer, editor, and project manager who will successfully deliver the content and communications you need, for technical and consumer-oriented audiences.
I am a professionally trained and experienced writer and editor who will meet your audience's needs, hit your deadlines, and exceed your expectations.
My work experience includes the following:
- 5 years working offsite for variety of clients (including Microsoft and Adobe). Have produced content for Windows Online, Human Resources, Global Development team, MS Consulting Services, MS Library, Exchange Hosted Services, as well as complex marketing, PR, and video script materials for Adobe Creative Suite 3, Creative Suite 4, and Creative Suite 5 releases.
- 10 years with Microsoft as User Experience manager, Localization manager, Editing manager, and Technical Editor. Produced content for web portals, Windows Help and UI, beginner-intermediate-advanced users, network administrators, technical consultants, software developers, marketing pieces, white papers, How To guides, tools, international documentation, and more. Managed teams from 3 - 60 employees.
- 4 years as Communications Manager for Aldus and Adobe Corp. (desktop publishing), producing a wide variety of developer materials, newsletters, and beta program materials.
- 2 years as Manager Editor in Biomedical Publishing field for Quest Publishing, Brea, CA. Managed all aspects of publishing the Journal of Clinical Engineering. Performed interviews and wrote feature stories for four bi-weekly newsletters - Biomedical Technology, Clinical Lab Letter, Radiology & Imaging, and Biomedical Safety & Standards. Served as style editor for all seven company publications. Supervised staff of two editorial assistants and one typesetter.
- 4 years as Typesetter, Graphics Designer, and Editor for Ford & Radcliffe Graphics, a high-volume graphics production shop in Eugene, OR.
- 2 years as Editorial Assistant and Typesetter for Small Farmer's Journal, Eugene, OR. Edited manuscripts, performed research, wrote articles. Typeset and produced an 80-page, 11x14 quarterly magazine, books, brochures, and all published materials. Solicited and designed display advertisements. Coordinated manuscripts with authors.
- Experienced, professional writer and editor for both TECHNICAL and CONSUMER content, including software Help, biomedical journals, user manuals, software developer kits, white papers, marketing brochures, Web and print articles, video scripts, international documentation, and more.
- Known for creative and practical problem-solving to move projects forward and meet handoff dates, as well as quick mastery of products, requirements, attention to detail, teamwork, and customer advocacy.
- Excel at guiding projects and teams from concept to final production (scoping effort, writing project plans and specifications, managing budgets, and producing superior quality deliverables).
- Experienced with style guides, user interface, localization, international impact on US content.
- Experienced with successfully managing publishing teams ranging in size from 3 to 60 employees.
University of Oregon School of Journalism
Master of Science - Business Management
1998 - 2000
University of Oregon
Bachelor of Arts - Journalism
1984 - 1988
University of Oregon
Bachelor of Arts - Italian Literature
1984 - 1988
2009 - Present
Linda Werner & Associates
Vendor - Technical Writer, Technical Editor, Project Manager
2005 - 2009
Technical Writer, Technical Editor
2005 - 2009
Program Manager, User Experience Manager, Group Manager, Editing Manager
1995 - 2005
Adobe Corporation / Aldus Corporation
1990 - 1994
1988 - 1990
This small publishing company was sold to another company in 1993.
Ford & Radcliffe Graphics
Typesetter - Editor - Production & Graphics
1984 - 1988
Company went out of business in 1989.
Small Farmer's Journal
Editorial Assistant - Typesetter
1982 - 1984
Microsoft Corp. (for Linda Werner & Associates), Program Manager
SDM Center web portal - Managed SDM Center for Services Delivery Methodology group at Microsoft. This large and extensive web portal provided a complete resource for project managers in the field building solutions for Microsoft clients. The portal provided how to guides, activities, templates, productivity tools, project checklists, and more. Managed and drove quarterly new content and updates. Wrote new content, restructured and eliminated overlap, updated content for new processes and more. Also edited content, performed testing, and assisted users. Collaborated with production lead, tools team, and contributing groups worldwide.
Linda Werner & Associates, Production Manager
Worked on SDM web portal with Ms. Turpin. I performed all the editorial work and project management. She managed the production work on the files, managed the servers and file sets, and together we updated this huge content library every quarter on time and on budget.
Ibid Communications, Owner
For Adobe Creative Suite 3, 4, 5, I wrote, edited, and did production and layout work for complex Adobe marketing and PR documents. Final files were delivered in Adobe InDesign. This work was subcontracted through Ibid Communications, so Mr. McAdoo is very familiar with my writing and editing qualifications, work ethic, and overall skillset.
Microsoft Corporation, Localization Manager
Vicky and I worked together when I managed Windows Help localization and Windows Help editing teams. When I moved on to the Windows Starter Edition project, Vicky took over management of the Windows Localization team. She is quite familiar with my abilities to deliver projects, meet deadlines, and add extra value to the project.